Friday, July 16, 2010

Window trim

I finished all the window flashing today and started putting the trim
on. I'm using treated 2x4's for the trim. That makes a nice plaster
stop as well, which is 1 1/2" thick. After the plaster is finished I
will put a finish trim on top which will also cover the gap between
the plaster and the 2x4's. I cut the bottom trim at an angle so water
will run off.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Flashing and plaster stop

After putting the windows in I had to fill the gap between the rough
opening and the window. I used a special spray foam designed to
insulate and make the gap air tight. This foam is flexible for
expansion and contraction. You can see in the picture that the foam
goes everywhere once it cures. I have to peel off the excess then
apply the flashing, or window tape. The metal is the plaster stop on
the bottom edge if the house. It simply stops the plaster from sliding
while it's still wet.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Windows and doors are in!

We finished up putting all the windows and doors in today. It really
feels like a house to me now. We got the beautiful solid oak door you
see in the picture second hand for 100.00 dollars. They are around
1500.00 new.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Windows and doors

We have all the windows and doors in except for one! At first I was
worried about this part, but I decided to plunge in and ( with the
help of the internet ) taught myself how to install and flash windows.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

More windows

I have put over half the windows in now. They still need flashing
details. I picked up some self adheasive flashing tonight. Using
recycled windows saves heaps of money. It is more work though. I had
to scrape old caulking off
one of them which took some time. Some need repairs. I rebuilt the
frames for four of them. I have ended up with three different types of
windows for mounting which makes me change gears a bit. On the bright
side, I now have experience with each kind! All new windows with nail
flanges would be super easy, probably a one day job. If I wanted easy,
I guess I would have paid somebody to build the whole house for me :)
Overall, I say recycled is worth the extra effort. Again, I have a
little over 300.00 in all my windows. I saved thousands of dollars,
and when all said and done, will have fine working windows.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

First window!

I'm very proud to have put in my first window today. It was far less
complicated than I imagined. I still need to apply the self adhesive
flashing, but the window is in and level.
I also stuffed and boarded up the corner bucks. I started applying
house wrap to any wood that will be exposed to the plaster. That will
be followed up by burlap for the plaster to stick too.

Saturday, July 3, 2010


All of the outside walls have been weedeated. The boards with the
holes are frieze boards. They cover the open space between the walls
and the roof. I drilled two inch holes for ventilation and stapled
wire mesh behind them. I calculated the exact number of holes for the
volume of the roof space. We also found a source for clay for the
adobe. The last picture is our clay. We got it from a well know
pottery company in the area. Clay City Pottery, in Clay City. I figure
they must have good clay with a name like that.